Many of our clients and other business owners we talk to underestimate the power of Google My Business (GMB) for boosting website hits and searchability. We encourage every entrepreneur to sign up for a GMB listing and keep it updated, so we are here to show you how.
Firstly, head to the GMB website via the link below, then follow the instructions we have laid out to set your listing up for maximum results.
- Click Manage now
2. Sign in using a Gmail account (tip: start a business Gmail account)
3. Click Add location
4. Select Add single location
5. Type in your business name
a) If your business name comes up with the correct address, select it (you will need to claim this listing)
b) or, click Create a business with this name (and continue with these steps)
Note: I have just typed in Business Name in this sample
6. Click Next
7. Type in your main business category
8. Click Next
9. Add services (if relevant)
Note: Services can be updated later.
10. Click Next
11. Do you want to add a location customers can visit, such as a store or office?
Choose Yes or No and click Next
If you selected No
12. Type in the areas you service
13. Click Next
If you selected Yes
12. Type in your business address
13. Click Next
14. Enter your business contact phone number & website if you have one
15. Click Next
16. Select Finish
Please note: If you didn’t enter a business address, they will ask you to enter an address to verify your listing.
Important: This address will not be made public, so if you are running a business from home, it is safe to enter your address here.
17. Type in your business address
18. Click Next
19. Type in your contact name
20. Check your business name & address are correct
21. Click Mail
Welcome to your new Google My Business listing
These instructions are just the basics, so if you have any queries or get stuck, feel free to contact us for help.
Please note that these instructions were created in early 2020 and updates to the GMB platform may affect the process and it may change over time.
For more useful insights on GMB and how to manage your listing, stay tuned for our future blog posts. If you haven’t already signed up to our mailing list to receive this blog straight to your inbox, click the link below so you don’t miss a thing!